A Review of David Bowie’s Album The Next Day

Statistics:

Artist: David Bowie
Album Title: The Next Day
Genre: Rock
Record Label: ISO, Columbia
Release Date: March 8th, 2013

Tracklist:

1. The Next Day
2. Dirty Boys
3. The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
4. Love Is Lost
5. Where Are We Now?
6. Valentine’s Day
7. If You Can See Me
8. I’d Rather Be High
9. Boss of Me
10. Dancing Out In Space
11. How Does the Grass Grow?
12. (You Will) Set the World on Fire
13. You Feel So Lonely You Could Die
14. Heat
15. So She (Bonus Track)
16. Plan (Bonus Track)
17. I’ll Take You There (Bonus Track)

Review:

After many long years, David Bowie’s triumphant return to the music industry has reminded the world that rock and roll will never die.  After looking death straight in the face back in 2004, many David Bowie fans gave up hope for a new album.  And yet, here he is, back and better than ever with “The Next Day”.   With stylistic changes from song to song, David Bowie’s new album is certainly one that he won’t regret recording.  The fantastic rhythms and melodies make The Next Day addictive to listen to, and the many style alterations make every time you enjoy the album different.  Of course, no album is perfect.  Because of all the genres Bowie covered, not all of the songs are as appealing as they might be.  Even so, David Bowie is as far from gone as he can get.

To begin with what is, in some ways, the most important thing about The Next Day is the incredible rhythms and melodies.  It’s difficult not to tap your foot and nod in time along with Bowie, with such strong rhythms rocking in your ears.  I’ve noticed people staring at me, and I realize that my foot is thumping up and down in time with “Valentine’s Day”.  And it’s not just the rhythms that make The Next Day so awesome.  The melodies are sheer genius!  From “I’d Rather Be High” and its rapid, driving anti-war chant to the fast rock of “(You Will) Set the World On Fire”, the notes have been crafted together seamlessly, making the entire album an absolute joy to listen to.  These two factors combine together to give birth to one of the most fantastic musical experiences of the decade, leaving you with no doubt as to Bowie’s musical prowess.  All in all, The Next Day has no difficult cementing itself as one of Bowie’s best albums, and one that you’ll listen to many times over.

But perhaps the most intriguing thing about The Next Day is the many stylistic changes from both past albums and from song to song.  David Bowie has never been one to focus on a single genre, but even for him, The Next Day showcases lots of music types.  From the fast rock of “If You Can See Me” to the slow, sad ballad of “Where Are We Now”, The Next Day will appeal to fans of all.  One nice thing about the number of genre changes is that every time you listen to the album, it’s different.  If you shuffle the songs on the album, it makes each listening experience unique in its own way.  The album is definitely rock, but it still gives you plenty of musical opportunities to enjoy.  David Bowie’s musical prowess is demonstrated very clearly in this aspect, and it’s one of the best things about The Next Day.

Finally, as much as I loved Bowie’s latest, it wasn’t perfect.  While some of the songs were simply phenomenal, I found myself reaching for the skip button every now and then.  I absolutely loved “(You Will) Set the World On Fire” and “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)”, but “Dirty Boys” and “Heat” were ranked lower on my list of music.  Perhaps the reason I enjoyed these songs was due to my taste in music, and Bowie’s new music styles.  I’m a huge Queen and Rolling Stones fan, and these songs had less “Another One Bites the Dust” within them than some of the album, making me feel less drawn to them.  I felt that the entire album was a return to Bowie’s roots, but some of those roots aren’t to my taste. That’s not to begrudge the album however: The Next Day is terrific, and was a most welcome addition to Bowie’s already extensive arsenal of amazing music.

Final Thoughts:

The Next Day was Bowie’s triumphant return to the musical industry, and one that no one is likely to forget.  The music is simply incredible, the number of genres astounding, and although it has it’s bad spots, practically every song is awesome.  For these reasons, I’d give The Next Day a 4 out of 5.  This album should be one that you add to your collection, no matter what kind of music you listen to.  It’s worth the cost, and you’ll absolutely get your money’s worth in songs.  It’s one of those albums that everyone ought to own, and one that marks a great day in Bowie’s already successful career.  Welcome back to the music industry, David Bowie.